Announcements!





Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Am the Messenger


I must say, this book captured me right from the start. I listened to it on audiobook, which definitely made me blush in the car when the sexual thoughts and scenes came through, windows rolled down and me avoiding other drivers' eyes. I loved the actor's voice and managed, for once, to listen to the whole thing on audio (part of it being I didn't have a book copy). I don't know about you, but listening to books is a great motivator for hand-washing dishes and cleaning around the house.

The book starts out with a bank robbery. Two friends, both male, are at the bank and the robber manages to get away with the money, but finds himself without a ride (his ride was getting talked to by the cops and then drove away) and so he points to one of the friends and tells him to give him his keys. The attitude of the character just makes it very hard not to laugh. He's got a cheap old car that rarely starts. Alas, he gives the keys over. The robber drops the gun on the way out, but decides to just take off. Our main character, Ed, grabs the gun and runs after the guy. Saves the day basically.

Well, if that doesn't draw you into a story - the banter taking place definitely will. Ed continues on and one day gets a playing card with an address on it. He's been asked to give a message and this continues on. He's not sure where the cards are coming from, but when two gentleman come and rough him up (thanks to him being slow to figure out one or two of the messages) he gets the picture that someone is behind it. I don't think I'm explaining this book real well so far.

Here's basically what happens - Ed has to find these people, figure out what they need, and give it to them. A range of things happen - he gets beaten the crap out of, he almost kills a man, and he has to pretend to be an old woman's dead husband. And much, much more. The mystery behind who is sending these addresses takes a side line while you cruise through the life of Ed Kennedy - 20 something year old taxi-driver, girlfriend deficient and with quite an attitude about life that is carefree.

I just ate this book right up. I wanted to scrub for days or drive around just so I could listen to the accented voice that matched up perfectly what I drew up in my head about the main character. The plot was fantastic, the characters interesting and well, the ending was bloody well perfect. But you'll have to read it yourself to figure that last part out.

5/5 Roses

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the longest reviews I have ever read by you. I had to chuckle at your excuses to do things so you could continue listening to the book. I did the same thing with Graceling and Morpheous Road. Enjoyed the review a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!