Having worked in three different types of libraries, I always think about what is so great about libraries. So, I figured I'd share why different libraries rock for different reasons.
Academic Libraries (Universities, Colleges, etc..)
- Space - there's a place to research, to take a nap, and to use a computer (for research or fun reasons)
- Quality - most of their reference librarians are teachers, making them usually easier to approach and you really learn how to use the library from them
- Media - we're talking databases galore, old microfilm and microfiche, computers and viewing equipment for movies and dvds
- Books - What's a library without books? You've got some popular materials, but lots of great research and nonfiction material.
- Change - with new research and new education, you actually learn how to use a library at a young age. There's now online databases, books on IPods and playaways, and always a small array of computers for the random student to use.
- Teachers as librarians - they know they're stuff and they love kids.. they're perfect for this type of library
- Books - kids need to keep reading while growing up, having displays around the library gets them interested.
- Programs - book clubs, reading programs, and more!
- Programs - I absolutely love love love the summer reading program - there's prizes galore. There's a lot more too - computer programs, book programs, and for all ages.
- Materials - There's books, popular movies, audiobooks, ebooks, and more! I know some that also check out IPod shuffles.
- Databases - This is where I hit up NoveList when I can't figure out what to read or if I'm trying to remember a title from long ago.
- FREE! You save so much money by using a public library instead of buying your books, dvds, and audiobooks. See how much you could save HERE.