Announcements!





Monday, August 17, 2009

Fire by Kristin Cashore


Fire
by Kristin Cashore
Release Date: October 5, 2009

From the author's website:
Fire, Graceling's prequel-ish companion book, takes place across the mountains to the east of the seven kingdoms, in a rocky, war-torn land called the Dells.

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.

Wondering what makes it a companion book/prequel? Fire takes place 30-some years before Graceling and has one cross-over character with Graceling, a small boy with strange two-colored eyes who comes from no-one-knows-where, and who has a peculiar ability that Graceling readers will find familiar and disturbing...


I wasn't sure if this was possible, but I loved this one more than I loved Graceling. The character Fire just took my breath away. She is half-monster, but makes up for it with her overly human feelings, emotions and most of all her empathy towards others. There's wondrous characters, beautiful settings, and tons of action to keep the plot moving. And, of course, romance.

I don't want to ruin anything, so I'm keeping this short. If you loved Graceling, I expect you'll enjoy this book as much, if not more.

I'm really excited now to see what Kristin holds in store for us in her third book, which focuses on the character Bitterblue.


5/5 Roses

24 comments:

  1. I'm reading Greceling right now... I hope I get this one soon! I'm glad you liked it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I can't wait till this one comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Review!
    I'm up to page 100 and love it!
    I haven't read graceling yet but I will sure pick it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even better than Graceling? Wow. I really want to read Fire now! A half-monster is definitely interesting. :)

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes, yes! Isn't it amazing? I felt the same way. I couldn't love anything more than GRACELING, certainly not a prequel, and she went ahead and blew my mind anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read my copy of Graceling yet, I know shame on me!!

    But your review was short and sweet =) I'm sure I'll love both of the books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Better than Graceling?
    Now I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Graceling so much that I can't imagine loving Fire more, but I can't wait to read Fire all the same! I am making the wait more bearable by listening to the Graceling audiobook a little each day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Graceling. Fire sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh- better than Graceling?! That's definitely what I want to hear! I loved Graceling, but I was a teensy bit sceptical about the prequel- but this sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review! I still gotta read Graceling...

    ReplyDelete
  12. cannot wait for this book!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked Graceling :) I'm looking forward to reading Fire and am even more excited because you gave it five roses! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This seems to be the book a lot of people are talking about. It sounds good and I love the cover. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven’t read Graceling yet (I don’t know why because the book has just been sitting on my bookshelf) and those that have read Fire say I should read Graceling before I read this book. I’m gonna have to move Graceling to the top of my to read list. Especially since she is going to write more.

    Is the next book a sequel or just another companion book?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have not read Graceling and feel I am missing out....

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great review!! I haven't read Graceling yet, but it definately deserves to be read soon.

    Fire looks great, I feel like I like the UK cover better though :-)

    Hurrah for some romance and great characters.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am really ashamed to say this but I haven't read Graceling yet. I have been meaning to but I have so many other books to read that it just keeps getting pushed back in my pile. I will have to read it before Fire comes out. Great review and I can't wait to read both books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I STILL haven't read Graceling *blushes*
    Maybe because I have it in ebook format and ebooks are pretty...annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fire sounds amazing. Have you checked out the UK cover? So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definately fell in love with the book. you can find my review here:
    http://tyngasreviews.blogspot.com/2009/08/fire-by-kristin-cashore-arc.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh I actually just won a copy of this so I can't wait to read it. =]

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely agree with you. I loved this one better than Graceling! I didn't think that was possible. Fire was such a great character. This book was so different from Graceling. Definitely a favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!