Announcements!





Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Violet Wings


Violet Wings
by Victoria Hanley

From the author's website:
Orphaned fairy Zaria Tourmaline suffers from having a mind of her own. Although she tries to be a good fairy, her quest to find out what really killed her parents leads her to break the laws of Feyland again and again, putting herself and her friends into the path of perils she didn’t even know existed.

I started this book a few days back, but got distracted by Fire (Kristin Cashore) coming in the mail. When I started it back up yesterday, I found myself engrossed in the novel.

Zaria is the last in her class to turn 12 - the age at which fairies get their crystal watches and wands. She almost misses her chance by taking a trip to Earth with her friend Leona. Her parents and brother all died on trip to Earth.

Zaria finds out she has more power than she imagined. She's a rare Violet fairy, as is her friend Leona. But Zaria's mentor seems to have her own interests in mind when she takes the young fairy on. The question is, how will Zaria be able to find out just what that is?

I really enjoyed the blurbs of history at the beginning of each chapter. It really set up the world nicely and I loved the consistency of information coming from the famous genie historian.

My only complaint, as usual, is that I want more. The author wrapped up the first book nicely, but there is a lot of unanswered questions and tons more adventures for Zaria to have. Can't wait to see what Victoria Hanley has in store for this world next.

5/5 Roses


(This one is in the pot for the August Comment Contest.)

19 comments:

  1. Your reviews always make me want to read whatever it is you've reviewed! As always, awesome review.
    Sometimes I feel like the whole fairy thing is overdone, but then again, fairies are great fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with April. This looks really interesting - the idea of an orphaned fairy who is a rare Violet fairy - it all sounds too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my wishlist since I saw it a couple months ago but this is the first review I have read. I am glad you liked it and I really want to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful review, this sounds like a really sweet read, it's going on my wishlist.

    I've nominated you for Bingo's prestigious Beautiful Award.
    You can pick it up at The Eclectic Reader

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo Jealous!! I want this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this book. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy reading your reviews. Although sometimes you make me want a book more than I already do. But that's okay. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I'm almost done this book and I love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book looks really interesting. I really need to finish all my books so that way I can go out and get more to read..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want more, too. When will Oberon and Velleron show up?! I thought for sure they would be there at the end, but I guess that would be a deus ex machina.

    Since a bunch of people are saying they want to read it, I would like to let them know I am giving away an ARC of Violet Wings at my blog.

    http://missdanaidae.blogspot.com/2009/08/review-violet-wings-by-victoria-hanley.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read this one - it has two things I adore - faeries AND violet! ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This one looks good! Haven't heard much about it - adding to my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I hate unanswered questions at the end of a book, too! But this was a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate hanging endings...they're so...hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But I've heard so much about this book that I can't help but want to read it:D

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the reviews about this book say that is good! I can't wait to read it!
    And the cover is prettY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard many good things about that one, I really need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WordVore Prod yeah suspense ending are killing me to!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh I can't seem to win this book in any contest. I keep entering and no luck so far. =P

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!