Announcements!





Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sisters Red


Sisters Red
by Jackson Pearce

Summary (from Goodreads):
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris-- the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts fiercely alongside her. Now Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves and finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax-- but loving him means betraying her sister and has the potential to destroy all they've worked for.

Review:
I hold a special place in my heart for books that are more like the folktales of old than the Disney version of stories. In this book, Fenris are not nice, happy or cuddly werewolves that you fall in love with - oh no. They literally hunt and eat teenage girls - no joke. But Scarlett and Rosie are not about to let them harm innocent girls if they can help it. I loved the dichotomy of the two sisters - Scarlett is stronger than the Rosie physically but afraid to live outside of fighting and Rosie is strong as well - but in a different way. Yes, she has the strength to fight, but she needs a normal life - one outside of the loss and violence they have suffered together.

The presence of a male character almost cushions the story - developing a little romance but not an unrealistic one. Silas has been a presence in the sisters' lives for a long time and he suffers facing his own role as well. He was born and raised a Woodsman - but he doesn't want to be stuck in the woods and searches out a new life. Also, he creates a sense of stability when needed in the story - saving Scarlett and Rosie at equal intervals but the novel never suggests them to be "damsels in distress".

Combine some fantastic characters with a simple and direct plotline - one that yes, does have it's twists and turns but is basic enough to understand what is going on - and you've got a winner of a book. I love my female leads as strong characters and this is exactly what Pearce has laid on the reader. Their fierce, realistic, and maybe a bit off at times - but you really grow to know them.

5/5 Roses

- This book was read through Dark Faerie Tales ARC Tours. :-D


Buy it on Amazon*
Find it on Goodreads

*If you buy this book on Amazon through the link above, I will receive a small portion of the sales.

10 comments:

  1. Great review! So glad you liked it! Now I can't wait for Sweetly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this one so badly! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It's refreshing to see a book every once in a while that takes the "traditional" view on supernatural creatures, instead of making said werewolf/vampire/ghost/faerie loveable and "cuddly," as you put it. I'll definitely be adding this one to my TBR list. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks really neat, I definitely want to read it now :) I love Jackson Pearce on Youtube :P, she seems amazing.
    nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great story! I know Fenris from the Norse mythology but there Fenris is one wolf only. I'm guessing that is were Jackson Pearce got some of her inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite types of story too! I love "retellings" of the old fairy tales. I need to read this one.

    Have you read The Stepsister Scheme or The Mermaid's Madness? Both are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I'm so excited to read this one :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, I've been keeping an eye on this book. This is one fairy tale I haven't heard adapted before into a full story of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds good. I am intrigued by the wealth of folklore and mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no clue what this book was about b/c the title didnt give it away, and neither did the cover (or so I thought). I didn't even see that it's not JUST 2 girls on the cover, but also a wolf face!! Man I'm blind, lol
    I'm looking forward to getting this book; great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is on my wishlist. Thanks for the review - haven't seen many out there. I love the idea of bad werewolves - they have always been evil creepy creatures in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!