Announcements!





Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bleeding Violet

Author: Dia Reeves
Publication Date: January 5th, 2010
Copy provided by: Around the World Tours
Summary (via Goodreads):

Love can be a dangerous thing....

Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna's tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.

But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she's far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe.



Why I read this:
I picked this book up via Around the World Tours but I thought it looked interesting before seeing it on tour and also it is a paranormal book by a debut author. It's my goal this year to try to read more up and coming authors.

Plot: In perspective, it was very action filled. I felt like it moved forward really well and included something crazy going on at all times. I would have liked a little more back story to the town and why this random town had all these crazy things roaming around, but that probably is my only complaint.

Characters: Hannah is insane and so is her mother. It's hard to read this book through her point of view because she doesn't react like a normal person would. She just jumps in, insists on risking her life consistently and the way she thinks is just hard to wrap your head around.

Wyatt is Hannah's love interest, who maybe doesn't really figure out she's crazy towards the middle of their relationship when she keeps on jumping headlong into things that she really shouldn't be doing. Wyatt is one of the hunters of these baddies. I don't know that I got a clear image of him through Hannah, but I know she was definitely attracted to him.

Relationships: I definitely wouldn't call what Wyatt and Hannah have love but more like of a lusty convenient relationship. It may eventually become more but I felt like it was based too much on the thrill of risking their lives and the lust they felt for each other.

Writing: I must say that I enjoyed the way this book was written. It flowed well and was definitely a unique book and something I could only explain sometimes as FUBAR - but it worked. Knowing some girls just like Hannah throughout high school definitely made this relatable to me as well.

Cover commentary: Can I say gorgeous? Many people will probably look at this book because it is so awesome.

Rating: 4/5 Roses

Let me know below what you think of the new review style... :-D I stole some from Kate at The Neverending Shelf and Andrea at Book Blather.

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds good. I have been wanting to read it. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny - despite the fact that Hannah was insane, I really thought that she did react like a normal person would. It was very hard for me to consider her truly crazy.
    Maybe I am crazy?

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!