Announcements!





Monday, April 26, 2010

Blood Feud


Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Publication Date: June 22, 2010
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal
Copy provided by: Around the World Tours
Summary (via Goodreads):

The action and romance continue as the Drakes face a new vampire with a 200-year-old grudge. It’s been centuries since Isabeau St. Croix barely survived the French Revolution. Now she’s made her way back to the living and she must face the ultimate test by confronting the evil British lord who left her for dead the day she turned into a vampire. That’s if she can control her affection for Logan Drake, a vampire whose bite is as sweet as the revenge she seeks.

The clans are gathering for Helena’s royal coronation as the next vampire queen, and new alliances are beginning to form now that the old rifts of Lady Natasha’s reign have started to heal. But with a new common enemy, Leander Montmarte—a vicious leader who hopes to force Solange to marry him and usurp the power of the throne for himself—the clans must stand together to preserve the peace he threatens to destroy.

This second adventure in the Drake Chronicles—told from both Logan’s and Isabeau’s perspectives—has all the same butt-kicking action, heart-pounding romances and snarky humor that readers loved in Hearts at Stake, as well as exciting new revelations about the vampire dynasties to keep readers coming back for more.


Why I read this: Because the first book (Hearts at Stake) was so awesome, I had to read the second - no question about it.

Plot: Action-packed and full of adventure, this book does not disappoint. Following two different characters - one of Solange's brothers (Logan) and a Hound named Isabeau - there's the same new romance and it follows the arc of the first story line, just from a different point of view. Another great aspect was the flashbacks into Isabeau's past - having survived the French Revolution. Definitely a book that kept moving and moving fast. I can't believe I have to wait until January for the next one.

Characters: It's nice to finally see what it is like to be a Hound and Isabeau's past itself was so intriguing and full of adventure as well that you really were able to understand her. I do feel like she betrayed her character a bit when around Logan - but guys will do that to a girl.

Logan is a fantastic match for Isabeau - being obsessed with past cultures and dressing familiar to Isabeau. He's protective like all the other brothers but a little less arrogant and not caring as much about finding any girl - but finding the right one.

The new bad guy is only so-so and I was a bit sad that we won't see much more of him. Greyhaven wasn't quite a match for Isabeau and I felt like we didn't get enough of his evilness before the end of the book. I hope the next book has a more evil guy - I like my guys super evil and he just didn't play up to the part.

Relatability: For me personally, I just wish I was a butt-kicking vampire and had a hot vampire boyfriend... so I related to the characters more as a "oh if only...". Otherwise, the humor was also a great connector from the reader to the characters. I can't resist some silliness, snarkiness, and even a little bit of corny humor.

Cover Commentary: Goes along with the theme of the first, but it is nothing that would stop me dead at the bookstore with awe.

Rating: 5/5 Roses

Buy it on Amazon*
Find it on Goodreads

*If you buy this book on Amazon through the link above, I will receive a small portion of the sales.

5 comments:

  1. I really liked this one - and the first. I'm curious as to where the series will go from here with so many characters to explore.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first one and now I really, really, want to read this one. Logan sounds really great and I'm glad we get to know him better in this book than we did in the first one! great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read either of these books, but then I have been staying away from all the vamp series. Still it sounds like maybe I need to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished the first one...and I loved it! Can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous you got this one already! Great review. I just finished the first book on Monday and loved it. Can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!