Announcements!





Sunday, May 2, 2010

Hex Hall


Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publication Date: March 2, 2010
Genre: Paranormal - Young Adult
Copy provided by: Dark Faerie Tale ARC Tours
Summary (via Goodreads):

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


Why I read this: Hello? Why wouldn't I? Witches, boarding schools.. other paranormal creatures.. Yeah, this one screams READ ME.

Plot: Sophie performed one too many bad love spells and is sent off to a school that is almost like a juvie for paranormal creatures - only a lot nicer. The hot guy saves her the first day and that's it - she's done in for a serious crush. She unfortunately has to room with a vampire who is in love with the color pink and has been accused of killing her last roommate. Let's just say this book is packed with paranormal awesome and I can't wait for the next books.

Characters: Sophie isn't anything special - or so she thinks - and it's nice to see a more humble character that gains confidence a little bit at a time. She's pretty realistic for a witch and resists the dark witches coven. She's a bit sheltered from the paranormal world - having grown up with her human mother and her father only communicating via email and phone calls. She doesn't know what she's in for at this school, but she seems to take everything pretty calmly. I really like her as a character - she doesn't do anything annoying and she isn't totally amazing... (yet hehe). I like a bit of realism with my fantasy and Sophie really reflects that as a character.

And as for her hott crush - Archer - well he is totally swoon-worthy. Not sure why he's with the really mean girl of the school, but he inevitably finds himself drawn to Sophie and her to him. He's a hunkity hunk and also has a great personality (she slowly discovers). But there's a bit of mystery to his past and well, that comes out towards the end of the book. I hope there's more of him in the next book because he is full of yum.

Relatability: The plot involves the reader and Sophie grows on you. I can't say exactly what it is, but I definitely felt drawn into this book. Cannot wait for the next one - seriously!

Cover commentary: Beautiful! Although.. there isn't really a cat.. at all.. but oh well.

Rating: 5/5 Roses

Buy it on Amazon*
Find it on Goodreads

*If you buy this book on Amazon through the link above, I will receive a small portion of the sales.

11 comments:

  1. I couldn't resist and bought this one. I've heard amazing things about it. I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but I will...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my wish list and I'm glad it got a thumbs up from you! Thanks for sharing a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked this one!I just got this imm so now I want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I definitely want to read this book. Too bad there is not a cat, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vampires and boarding school has become a little common but I haven't read any about witches since Harry Potter! This sounds really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a cute book that I totally forgot that there wasn't a cat in it! It was just a good fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just picked this one up at the library, and I can't wait to read it! So many great reviews so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this book and am wondering if Hawkins will bring Archer back in her next book, and have more about her dad too. I enjoyed your review too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun. This will never be on the shelves once I get a copy in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! So glad you liked it! I devoured this baby in one afternoon. So good!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!