Announcements!





Friday, June 25, 2010

The Familiars


Author: Adam Jay Epstein and Adam Jacobson
Publication Date: September 7, 2010
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Copy provided by: publisher
Summary (via Goodreads):

After three young wizard apprentices are kidnapped by the evil queen of a distant land, it is up to their familiars, their magical animal companions -- a street smart alley cat, a precocious blue jay, and a bumbling tree frog -- to save them.

Why I read this: I thought The Familiars looked like a fun, middle grade fantasy and it's also a debut novel.

Plot: A Typical fantasy plot - three human wizard apprentices are captured and the familiars must save them. Definitely full of twists, as Aldwyn has to hide his secret of having no magical abilities. Action-packed with time to build relationships, The Familiars is a great middle grade fantasy that many kids and teens will get a kick out of.

Characters: I really loved Aldwyn. He's an alley cat and his story is sort of the old rags-to-riches type scenario. Aldywyn is at the right place at the right time and finds himself becoming a familiar. He no longer need to con a meal daily and finds himself attached to his human counterpart. The other familiars provide a great trio of budding friends: Skyla - a bluejay who is interested in human magic, and Gregory - a tree frog who is mostly concerned with catching flies. Both have their own abilities to bring to the table.


Relatability: I think that anyone can see the rag-to-riches and rescue plot lines and compare it to other age-old stories they have read growing up. Also, the humor used in the novel also helps the reader relate to the characters. Definitely was a great read and one I would highly recommend to my students.

Cover Commentary: Very cute. Definitely looks magical. I especially love the title lettering.

Rating: 5/5 Roses


Buy it on Amazon*
Find it on Goodreads



*If you buy this book on Amazon through the link above, I will receive a small portion of the sales.

17 comments:

  1. The cover of this book is totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. This has already been put on my wishlist. It does look like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a book my niece would enjoy. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a really fun book. I love animal stories, so I might just have to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and the story of wizard really attract me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a really great middle school fantasy and I love the cover. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds cute, I'll have to get this for my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun one. I bet my daughter would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didnt know that this is a debut novel. The cover makes the book look like a really fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover of The Familiars looks really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I entered to win this book on Goodreads because I thought it looked really cute. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magical book with some cute animals as its character - this sure sounds like a fun, unique read to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to try my best to get a copy here at ALA! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the first time I have heard of this book -- I haven't read MG in a while, and this seems really great. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like fun. I am so glad there are so many great sounding MG books out there.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!