Announcements!





Thursday, October 14, 2010

Book Views (10)

Book Views is an idea that Kate over at The Neverending Shelf created. Basically, I give you a picture, the summary and a review (in less than 75 words).



Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Summary (via Goodreads): When Coraline explores her new home, she steps through a door and into another house just like her own - except that things aren't quite as they seem. There's another mother and another father in this house and they want Coraline to stay with them and be their little girl. Coraline must use all of her wits and every ounce of courage in order to save herself and return home... but will she escape and will life ever be the same again?

Review: I was surprised by how closely the movie followed this book, as I had seen the movie long before I picked up this book. It's a great short and spooky read that is perfect for Halloween coming up. Gaiman is a fabulous storyteller.

Final Verdict: Definitely a book you do not want to miss. Appropriate for 4th grade and up.




The Thief by Megan Whelan Turner


Summary (via Goodreads):

"I can steal anything."

After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task -- to steal a hidden treasure from another land.

To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.

Review: I was a bit surprised when I started reading this that it was from the POV of a young man - not sure why, but I just assumed it was a young woman. Full of adventure, political intrigue, and mythology, The Thief is a fantastic start to a trilogy I'm dying to read more of.

Final Verdict: Highly recommend picking this one up if you want a story filled with adventure, mythology and a surprising end. I'd recommend this book as 6th grade and up.




Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

Summary (via Goodreads): Thirteen-year-old Steven has a totally normal life: he plays drums in the All-Star Jazz band, has a crush on the hottest girl in the school, and is constantly annoyed by his five-year-old brother, Jeffrey.
But when Jeffrey is diagnosed with leukemia, Steven's world is turned upside down. He is forced to deal with his brother's illness and his parents' attempts to keep the family in one piece. Salted with humor and peppered with devastating realities, Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie is a heartwarming journey through a year in the life of a family in crisis.


Review: A moving middle grade novel that made me laugh and cry more than I have in a long time. The younger brother Jeffrey provides hilarious 4-year-old dialogue that will make you laugh and then cry because of how serious his situation really is. I highly recommend this book for anyone!

Final Verdict: Definitely a book you don't want to miss reading. Recommended for 5th grade and up.

6 comments:

  1. Coraline and The Thief are both great! Haven't heard of the other one, though. Thanks for the quick summary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen the movie for Coraline but I have read the book, and it is kinda creepy...is the movie about the same spooky level?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool meme, I may try this sometimes. Sometimes, it's easier to express your feeling in less words, and it's better than rambling back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen Coraline but I've yet to pick up the book despite multiple blogger recommendations; must get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, I cant wait to pick up the graphic novel! Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie sounds like exactly the kind of GN's I love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Coraline! Actually, I love everything by Neil Gaiman ;) I have to try The Thief, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!