Announcements!





Friday, February 18, 2011

Interview with Sean Beaudoin


Today, I have with me the marvelous Sean Beaudoin, his latest book of which I just reviewed - You Killed Wesley Payne.

Sean Beaudoin is the author of Going Nowhere Faster, Fade to Blue, and You Killed Wesley Payne. His stories and articles have appeared in numerous publications including Glimmer Train, The New Orleans Review, The Nervous Breakdown, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Onion, Instant City, The Rumpus, Opium, Barrelhouse, Redivider, Narrative, and Spirit: the In-flight magazine of Southwest Airlines. He is currently working on a collection of short stories and a crime fiction novel.

And here's what he has to say:


Describe You Killed Wesley Payne in 5 words.

Teeth-clanging. Metal. Fedora. Lust. Detectivize.


What was the inspiration behind the novel?

I grew up watching old noir films with my father. I loved the snappy dialog, beautifully dangerous girls, the tension, the heists, and the willingness to have an unhappy ending. Also, I saw that there was a gaping hole in the vampire book market and figured this was just the way to fill it.


What type of research did you do for You Killed Wesley Payne?
I watched a million movies, read untold pulp novels, was spurned by an unattainable blond, and somehow lived through high school.


What's something surprising about yourself that most people wouldn't think true?

I spend a lot of time playing Barbies with my daughter, doing mostly the voice-overs for Ken. But also Malibu Barbie when the need strikes. Also, I can play Crazy Train on the acoustic guitar.


If you weren't a writer, what would you be?

Completely and utterly lost. Without a purpose. Probably a professor of linguistics at a third-rate college with no possibility of tenure.


What can we look forward to next from you?
My next book, Wise Young Truck, is already done and in production. It’s a rock and roll saga. I’m actually working on the one after that at the moment. Suffice it to say it’s a zombie-free zone. Actually, there might be zombies. It depends on the focus groups. My personal feeling is that Bigfoot is the next sweeping trend. I may want to get in on that wave early.


I agree, I think we need some good Bigfoot books! Look out for You Killed Wesley Payne, a novel you won't want to miss! Check out the book trailer below.



post signature

1 comment:

  1. Bigfoot! hehe. That was one of the better book trailers I've seen. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!