Announcements!





Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review: Under the Jolly Roger


Author: L.A. Meyer
Publication Date: August 2005
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Copy provided by: Library (audiobook)
Summary (via Goodreads):

A pirate at heart, unlikely heroine Jacky Faber returns to the sea in a truly swashbuckling tale filled with good humor, wit, and courage.

After leaving the Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls in Boston--under dire circumstances, of course--she boards a whaling ship bound for London, where she hopes to find her beloved Jaimy. But things don't go as planned, and soon Jacky is off on a wild misadventure at sea. She thwarts the lecherous advances of a crazy captain, rallies the sailors to her side, and ultimately gains command of a ship in His Majesty's Royal Navy. But Jacky's adventures don't end there. . . .

Why I read this: For the 2011 Bloody Jack Challenge! There is still time to join me in reading this awesome series!

Plot: This is probably one of my favorites in the series so far. I just love the insane situations Jacky gets herself into and somehow manages to wriggle out of. I don't want to ruin anything so I won't go into too much detail but I love how Jacky can makes friends anywhere and turn it to her advantage when she is in most need of help. This swash-buckling tale is mostly told on the high seas, where Jacky must defend her honor against a crazed captain while trying to figure out how to escape her fate.

Characters: Oh Jacky, you are more and more formidable as the books go along. She definitely has taken a long break from being a lady in this book and revels in being back on the seas even in her condition. I love the interspersed letters from her Jaimy, explaining what happened and dreading what has now happened to his love.

This book introduces some new characters that I absolutely fell in love with. Georgie - a most adorable midshipman who I just fell in love with. The youngest and most scared of them, he really found a place in not only Jacky's but my own heart.

And there are some new dashing male figures in the way of Robin, who is most daringly in love with Jacky and is a fellow midshipman who tries to save her from losing her virtue. And of course, the sailor Jared, who tells Jacky that when she is ready to stop playing with boys, he'll be waiting. Oh how terribly dashing Jared is. And how very much he does care about Jacky in the end, even though he comes off the rogue. :)

And then of course, Higgins, a British manservant that will play more and more of a great role in Jacky's life *zips her lips*. I will say no more, only that he cracks me up frequently in these books and in the way he approaches Jacky and her wild ways.

Relatability: Definitely for fans of a serious high seas and perilous adventure yet peppered with some serious absurdity and hilarity. This series will redefine historical fiction for most. :)

Audio commentary: I hope to dear god they never chance the voice actress from Katherine Kellgren. She is amazing and does Jacky the justice she deserves. I am so glad to have been recommended the audiobooks as they make my journey to and from work transforming.

Cover Commentary: Love the covers. :) Definitely captures her more than the new covers. Ick to the new covers.

Rating: 5/5 Roses



Find it on Goodreads


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like one my daughter and I would both enjoy. I should see if the first one's available at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of this one and I can't stop listening. So good!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!