Announcements!





Friday, February 25, 2011

The Library Corner


For today's Library Corner and the one that I will do in two weeks I'm rereading Angel Star by Jennifer Murgia. Next month her next book, the sequel to Angel Star, is coming out called Lemniscate. I'm so excited!

So, what I'm doing is reading and talking about the book in two halvs. Click in to find out.

Description: Seventeen-year-old Teagan McNeel falls for captivating Garreth Adams and soon discovers that her crush has an eight-point star etched into the palm of his right hand-the mark of an angel.

But where there is light, dark follows, and she and Garreth suddenly find themselves vulnerable to a dark angel's malicious plan that could threaten not only her life, but the lives of everyone she knows.

Divinely woven together, Angel Star takes readers on a reflective journey when one angel's sacrifice collides with another angel's vicious ambition in a way that is sure to have readers searching for their own willpower.


The Prologue was able to pull me in. The emotions that you get from Teagan made me want to keep reading. Here are a couple of sentences from it. "I grabbed the tiny dagger. Though deadly, the weapon I held was beautiful. Tiny etchings glinted in the gold handle, retelling the story of the Archangel's fall from heaven, their story delicately carved into the deadly blade. I swallowed hard. Would God accept me now?"

Reading that can give me a little chill feeling what she is feeling.

The story then goes to Teagan waking up from a bad dream. We get to meet her BFF, Claire. Then we get to meet a guy that by the end I just loved, Garreth. He is strong, kind and protective. Also, personally I am an eye girl and I love the way that Jennifer has described Garreth's eyes.

pg. 10 - "But...his eyes. They were the warmest most endless aqua-and inhumanly hypnotic."
pg. 27 - "His eyes, the deepest ocean blue, peered from beneath his hair."

*sigh* :)

Once Teagan starts to learn what Garreth really is and why he is here he takes her to a special place. It sounds beautiful even if it is run down. Teagan says that it reminds her "of a miniature one-room castle. A single Gothic stained glass window was set into each of the three walls and a heavy wooden door, arched and aged, took up its fourth. Although the gray stone slab above the door frame was engraved crudely, it was still legible and proudly bore the name Saint Ann's."
Once inside she goes on, "wild fern that grew rampant in the corners, stubs of melted candles, massive iron candelabras eaten away by patchy blankets of rust. Beautiful bits of colored glass crunched beneath my feet from stained glass windows of long ago. Although it was in obvious shambles, it was still breathtaking."

Maybe I am just a sucker for run down places but it sounds like a place I would want to see.
Once Teagan learns about Garreth being a guardian angel, just like any time you learn something in a story, things started to change. I see it as Teagan learns how to see truth in people. She learns how people can really be affected by others and the world around them. In this story someone wants to use the change in their ultimate plan. The real good vs. evil.
Something happens to bring Garreth in to comfort Teagan. (I don't want to give it away of what happens but it is very sad and I will say that it has to do with her BFF.) Teagan's mom is also there for her. A lot of the times in YA stories the parents are absent and could just be mentioned once or twice and not always in a nice way. But, Teagan's mom is nice.

Let me leave you with the last sentence of the first half. "My eyes returned to the window above me and I shuddered as I saw the still-red glow penetrate the raindrops and spill down the angel's face like tears of blood."

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!