Announcements!





Sunday, October 4, 2009

Defining Twilight

Defining Twilight
by Brian Leaf


I know that there has been a bit of surprise when this book came out. But I have to be honest, I was very much intrigued by a prep book based on Twilight.

Looking through this book, I've found that Twilight offered some interesting vocabulary words, ones that readers probably overlooked, pushed aside, or simply ignored. I love the way the book is set up. You try to define the words first on your own - the page numbers for where it is found in the book are provided. The words are then defined and a few pages of practice questions are found.

Remember, this is simply vocabulary prep. This could help students that struggle with vocabulary and help them practice for the SAT, ACT, GED, or SSAT. I wouldn't limit it to being the only reference for vocabulary on these tests, but it's a great start to get students thinking about how much they do need to prep for these tests.

4/5 Roses

8 comments:

  1. What an interesting way to study vocab words! lol, nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember Meyer using that many big words...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember three "big" words in this series: sentient, neophyte, and irrevocably. This is a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how to feel about this book. There are so many other books out there that would help kids a lot more in the vocabulary department. BUT I guess Twilight is a big hit and young people would be more likely to pick this one up.
    Still feels a little like the author is just cashing in on the whole Twilight craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one to review yet and I too was interested on how that would work. Enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know someone who will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the idea of this very interesting. You might as well help kids learn from things they're already interested in, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know, this looks just like another try to cash in on the success of Twilight saga. I'd use Wiktionary.org over this any day: much faster to search and for free.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!