Announcements!





Saturday, October 3, 2009

On the Jellicoe Road




I was completely transported into this book when I read it. The book is narrated by Taylor Markham, a girl who was abandoned by her mother and now finds herself in charge of the Territory Wars that take place between her school, the Townies, and the Cadets. The school is broken up into 6 different houses, one of which she is in charge of herself. The townies are the kids that live in the town and go to school at a different school. The Cadets are a group of boys that come for a few months and camp out nearby.

The Territory Wars were started years ago, by friends from each area. Only now, it's turned more hostile and less friendly. That is, until Taylor Markham takes over. She's the first girl leader in years and finds that the Cadet in charge is no other than the boy she ran away with a few years back, wanting to find her mother - the boy who betrayed her and called his school so that they had to go home. But it's much more than that.

And then there's the manuscript. The woman that found Taylor, Hannah, is a woman who lives near school grounds and has always been a part of the culture. During the book, parts of her story's manuscript is read - a story that relates back to the territory wars, Taylor's past and more. Only Hannah leaves to take care of a sick friend, a friend Taylor has never heard of. Taylor is devastated, but her generally character calls her to remain strong, if not bitter and she does just that. Add in a bit of romance, intrigue, and a back story that may stop your heart... well, let's just say you need to read this book.

I listened to the audiobook version of this book and really loved the narrator's voice. But it wasn't only the narrator, the book itself is a masterpiece, transporting you into the culture surrounding the school and town. You really just need to go out and read this book... today!

This book gets a serious 5/5 Roses:

I would re-read this. Many times.

7 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books. It's so amazing and beautiful. I'm glad you liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I overheard two authors at SCBWI talking about this book...one mentioned she was reading it, and the other jumped in excitedly and asked what page she was on. I understood from their conversation that there's a real turning point in this novel. That conversation and your glowing review definitely make me want to pick up a copy! (And I LOVE audiobooks too! Maybe I'll try that version.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems great! it remind me somehow of the hunger games.. (Love them)
    So I have to read this book, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BEST. BOOK. EVER. 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about this book from Maggie Stiefvater. She absolutely loves it! I've had my eye out for it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a book I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. This looks really good. I seriously want to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!