Announcements!





Saturday, December 12, 2009

Saturday Spotlight - Two and a Half Book Lovers

Today we have an extra special set of bloggers - Two and a Half Book Lovers. Jenny and Ryan like to include their little one in everything - including blogging! Learn more about this awesome blogging family below!

Names: Jenny and Ryan
Nicknames: Raspberry and Trackgeek and our 'half' or 'the hurricane'.
Blog URL: twoandahalfbooklovers.blogspot.com

Tell me a bit about you two.

We've been married for a few years, met when I'd graduated from college (in Geology) and he was finishing up (Chemistry). We moved out to Colorado for him to get his PhD, and awhile later had our little one, who is 18 months and full of personality. When he met me I was a children's librarian who typically had 40 - 60 books checked out at once and more books than I could fit in my bedroom/apartment/etc. He also reads a lot, but really picked it up more after he graduated (i.e. had more time.).

When and why did you start your blog?
In September of this year, we started it to free up the space a bit on our family blog. It's lowered our posting by half as much at least. :) We love this, though, always looking for new books and sharing what we've read and if we liked it or not. We mostly do it for ourselves as kind of a keep sake, so that 20 years from now we can say look what we read, but if others enjoy them too, that's wonderful!

What is your blog all about? Any cool features you want to share?
The books we read! Usually teen and older juvenile, but we even have some picture books and adult books on there as well. I like our grading system, and I like having my 'to read' list all neatly organized by Shelfari for me.

What are some of your favorite genres and/or books currently?
One of my favorite books I read this year was A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnolly. I can't imagine it has a wide teen appeal, but for someone (ahem) in their late 20s, it was excellent. I also find that just because it's popular or the masses like it, doesn't mean I do. I'm also one of those people that if I don't like a book, I won't read it/finish it. I tend to grade harshly, but that's because I want people to know if I gave it an A, then it was THAT good. Trackgeek/Ryan grades a little higher than me. People usually find they prefer his grade. :)

How do you find out about the books you read?
Perusing the library and others book blogs. I also have a lot of background in the book world and know the authors to watch.

Any tips or advice for those starting or thinking about starting a blog?
Be your own. Everyone else in the blogworld has an "In My Mailbox" and "Friday Finds" - and those are fun. But don't be afraid to be different. Which...well, we are. :) I particularly like Memory Mondays where we review an 'oldie but goodie' book.

Also, I'm curious as to who takes on most of the blog work - designing, writing up posts, etc.. is it you or your husband? (I'm assuming you baby isn't quite typing yet... :-D)
I do about 95% of everything. I set up the blog and take care of the contests, etc. However, he reads so much that I thought he should be included too, although sometimes I have to bribe him to do a book review. The baby will be two this coming April, and doesn't do jack, except sit around and look cute. However, he loves to read and pretends to while sitting next to us on the couch all the time. His favorites are Richard Scarry and the Little Monster books.


Contest Alert!
There's a Christmas giveaway going on over at their blog involving THREE winners and some slightly used books! Check it out here! Ends December 15th, so hurry over and enter!


I really love checking out their blog, so you guys should too! Reminds me that since I just got married.. well you always know what the next question is - when are you having kids? (No comment currently - but my mother in law is bothering me about it already...)

Are you a new blogger too? Or just getting back into the swing of blogging? Do you want to be featured on my blog? Shoot me an email at dragonzgoil (at) gmail (dot) com.


11 comments:

  1. I love this feature!! I just became a follower of their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love this feature. Blogging familys are wonderful! I hope to include my little one once she is older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the interview, Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the name of their blog! So whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like their blog and I'm already a follower of theirs too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a cool blog! Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two and a half book lovers - love that it's a family thing! They're creating a miniature bookworm already - that right there is fantastic parenting in my opinion :D Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I've come across this blog but now that I've got some free time I may just look into it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find so many bloggers throught this feature.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a reading family! just what I like. I'll have to go check out their blog.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!