Announcements!





Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Spotlight - Michelle and Leslie's Book Picks

Today I have with me a blog run by two sisters. Leslie is the younger reader and writes most of the YA reviews on the blog. She's stopped by today to tell you more about herself along with their blog. I wish I could get my little sister to read...

Name:
Leslie
Blog name: Michelle and Leslie's Book Picks
Blog URL: http://booksandmakeup.blogspot.com




Tell me a bit about yourself.
Aloha! My name is Leslie and I'm in the eighth grade. I just turned 13 years old in November. My favorite color is light blue and I love to eat Chinese food especially orange chicken (yum!). I live in Hawaii and even though I like going to the beach sometimes I prefer to stay at home and read--I don't like getting sand on my books! My favorite genre to read young adults and in particular paranormal and fantasy YA.

When and why did you start your blog?

I reviewed my first book (The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong) on Halloween last year and that was when I officially started blogging. My sister Michelle
(she reviews mostly romance novels but also reads YA) actually asked me to write a review for the blog because she wasn't reading much around that time because she was busy with her new job and wanted to have a review posted for the blog.

What is your blog all about? Any cool features you want to share?
After I posted my first review, my sister talked me into reviewing more and before I knew it, I was doing regular review posts. My sister changed the name of the blog to what it is now and it became a part-YA and part-romance blog--that's what our blog is all about. My sister reviews romances and I review young adult books.

We will be starting a new weekly feature soon that will list our favorite books called "Friday Favorites"
and each week we will have a short list of our favorite books. One week could have our favorite paranormal series, the next week might have our favorite YA books, another week might have our favorite fairy tale remake books and so on--this feature will hopefully introduce our followers to more titles and authors out there.

What are some of your favorite genres and/or books currently?
I just recently read Vampire Academy and it was strangely addicting. I really, really want to read the next book in the series. Right now I am reading Catching Fire and loving it! The Hunger Games series is my sister's and my new book obsession. We are Team Peeta all the way!!
WOO-HOO!!!

How do you find out about the books you read?
I mostly find out about books I read from my sister. She visits many YA book blogs and lets me know about any YA book she finds interesting or ones that are to be released. I also like to browse bookstores and our local public library.

Any tips or advice for those starting or thinking about starting a blog?
I think you can definitely start a book blog. Just go for it! As long as you have a love for reading and books and can dedicate some time to writing reviews, it's doable. It's a lot of fun so don't take blogging too seriously. If you want people to know about your blog, take the initiative first step by following a blog and leaving comments--according to my sister, that's how other bloggers find you and how you can find readers for your blog.

Mahalo nui loa to Kristen for having me here today and letting me share about our book blog!


And thanks to you too Leslie! Check out her and Michelle's blog and leave some comment love!

Are you a new blogger too? Or just getting back into the swing of blogging? Do you want to be featured on my blog? Shoot me an email at dragonzgoil (at) gmail (dot) com.

4 comments:

  1. Great interview, I am totally with you on the sand thing, there is nothing worse than getting sand stuck in the book, it never comes out again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. I plan to check out your (the two sisters) blogs for recommendations for ya reads. I work in a k-8 library, and try to buy books once in a while for it. Sometimes I'm not sure if what sounds interesting to me (49 and a grandma-though not an old 49) would be the same interest for a 13 year old. So it'll be nice to get a better idea. I do ask the readers at school for recommendations at times, which helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An eighth grader that blogs how exciting. Since I teach eighth graders this tickles me pink that she would stay home and read instead of always heading for the beach. Thanks for the highlight Kristen. I am heading over right now to check out this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you everyone for checking out our blog and leaving comments :)

    and thanks again kristen for having me here! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!