Announcements!





Friday, March 19, 2010

Alex Van Helsing: Vampire Rising


Alex Van Helsing: Vampire Rising
by Jason Henderson

Summary (via Goodreads):
A descendant of legendary vampire hunter Abraham Van Helsing, fourteen-year-old Alex is stuck at boarding school near Lake Geneva, Switzerland, when he finds himself drawn into a web of paranormal intrigue. It turns out that Lake Geneva is also home to a secret school for vampires called the Scholomance—and now to a dangerous vampire clan lord known only as Icemaker, who’s using the Scholomance for his own dangerous endgame. With the help of his friends and of special agent Sangster, it’s up to Alex to fulfill his family destiny and stop Icemaker’s frightening plans once and for all.

Review:
Jammed packed with adventure and intrigue, Alex Van Helsing is an upcoming series that can be compared to the popular Alex Rider series. My librarian mind went straight to that thought when about halfway through the novel. Only - add in a few vampires and some wooden weaponry.

I must say, I love how this novel throws you right into the action. The first day Alex arrives at his new boarding school, he finds himself in danger and staking his first vampire. It only escalates from there, leaving enough room for friendly introductions to Alex's human friends and enemies and then throws you right back into the action.

This is a book for when you really need something that moves quickly and involves paranormal elements. It was a quick read and definitely more of a middle grade audience - just like the Alex Rider series.

4/5 Roses

Buy it on Amazon*
Find it on Goodreads

*If you buy this book on Amazon through the link above, I will receive a small portion of the sales.

7 comments:

  1. Great review! Sounds like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Kristen! This is already on my tbr list, I can't wait to get my hands on it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting thanks for the review...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liking the sound of this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use something that sucks me right in about now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have really seen this around much. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great and one that would be good for my students. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!