Announcements!





Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Spy Glass


Author: Maria V. Snyder
Publication Date: September 1, 2010
Genre: YA Fantasy
Copy provided by: Borrowed from Emily @ Red House Books
Summary (via Goodreads):

An undercover mission leads to danger, adventure and an impossible choice. After siphoning her own blood magic in the showdown at Hubal, Opal Cowan has lost her powers. She can no longer create glass magic. More, she's immune to the effects of magic. Opal is now an outsider looking in, spying through the glass on those with the powers she once had, powers that make a difference in the world. Until spying through the glass becomes her new power. Suddenly, the beautiful pieces she makes flash in the presence of magic. And then she discovers that someone has stolen some of her blood - and that finding it might let her regain her powers. Or know it could be they are lost forever.

Why I read this: I absolutely love Maria V. Snyder's books and I bugged Emily to borrow her copy from BEA. Thanks Emily!

Plot: Opal sets out on another adventure involving danger, intrigue, and, as always, romance. I don't want to reveal too much for those that haven't read the rest of the series, so I will leave it at that. I definitely love how action-filled the Glass series continues to be and look forward to any related series that Maria writes next.

Characters: Opal has changed again and she has to deal with more issues externally and internally to really begin to understand who she really is. She has her strength and weaknesses, but I love how real she feels as a character. Opal is genuine and still a little naive, but you can see her developing and she becomes more attuned to what she wants in life, not what everyone else wants for her.

Again, there is a struggle between deciding who she truly loves. I was a bit disappointed in how the conflict of love ended in the novel. Her choices are between a reformed criminal who has hurt and loved her in the past and the inconsistent strong male character who was her first love and one that seems never to be there when she feels torn between the two. They're definitely an interesting mix of romantic figures and it really does make the story that much more intriguing.

Relatability: Dealing with loss, finding love, and building relationships are all great themes within the book.

Cover Commentary: Absolutely gorgeous. I really love the way the covers of this series turned out.

Rating: 5/5 Roses


Buy it on Amazon*
Find it on Goodreads



*If you buy this book on Amazon through the link above, I will receive a small portion of the sales.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series yet. Normally, it's not my genre, but the characters sound so real, and the plot sounds fantastic. I just might read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big fan of Maria Snyder, but I am glad you enjoyed the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read Maria. Alas. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a new one for me. I'm intrigued and will have to look into this more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have yet to read a maria v. snyder novel and methinks i'm missing out. this series sounds great!

    thanks for the advice, kristen, and i am seriously going to think about an MA in library science. i actually wanted to be a librarian but my high school counselor convinced me that teachers are able to secure jobs easier. but books have always been my first love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you enjoyed this so much. I have it in my pile of books to read but haven't had a chance to start yet. Opal really irritated me in Sea Glass o hopefully she's gotten better in this one. I'm torn between who I think she should end up with.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!