Announcements!





Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday Spotlight - There's a Book

Today I have a fun blogger who already featured me in December on her blog which talked about my love of books as a child. Check that out here.

This blog is so stinkin' cute and the blogger is so nice that you'll be coming back to her site often!


Name: There's A Book
Nickname and/or blog name:
The1stdaughter

Blog URL:
http://www.theresabook.com




Tell me a bit about yourself.
I'm a mom of two kiddos (The Turkeybird - almost 3 and Littlebug - almost a year old) who loves to read, write, watch movies, hang out with my hubby, and do anything associated with music. Before I was a mom, I worked and played the flute professionally whenever I got the chance. Now, my priorities have shifted, but I still love all the same things and hope to continue them throughout the rest of my life.

When and why did you start your blog?
My blog is only about a month old now and I started it for a few reasons. The main one had to do with my kids (the site reviews children's, middle grade, and young adult fiction/non-fiction) and when I was first trying to pick books for them. It was terrible! I would go to a book store and look down rows of board books, some had pretty illustrations and others were just about teaching and some I didn't even have any interest in looking at. A lot of the time I would find a stack of books that once were home I would discover my son only liked one or two of them. Absolutely frustrating! That's why on my site you'll see all sorts of books, not just popular or award winning. I want to help people find the right books for them and their children. Including what may be appropriate (according to me of course, so take it with a grain of salt) at what age for both boys and girls. Like my recent review of The Maze Runner by James Dashner, I loved the book and I'm looking forward to sharing it with my son some day, but I made the disclaimer that it probably won't be until he's around 12 or so because of the violence in the book. Just my opinion, but I thought it might help for some people looking for guidance.

What is your blog all about? Any cool features you want to share?
A couple of neat things about the blog are who the reviewers are and a new feature I have called "When I Was Young". The reviewers include, myself, The Turkeybird and Littlebug. I wanted to share their points of view, even if they are little, I wanted to give them a voice when it came to helping others in choosing books. The new feature I'm starting, "When I Was Young", is a way to feature other book bloggers in a unique way, by having them share a book from their youth that got them excited about reading. This will give us all a chance to get to know everyone a little better and learn about some great books we may have forgotten.

What are some of your favorite genres and/or books currently?
Personally, I love what's coming out of the young adult genre right now and a few of my favorite authors are Cassandra Clare, Holly Black and Suzanne Collins.

How do you find out about the books you read?
A lot of it comes from reading other review sites, but I also spend time reading authors blogs, look around various internet book sellers sites, and of course the library here in our new home town.

Any tips or advice for those starting or thinking about starting a blog?
Take your time and get things set up the way you want it. Also, plan ahead! It takes a lot of time and energy to review and read (and in my case take care of two kiddos), but if you love it it makes it worth it and fun to do.


Thanks again to The1stdaughter for stopping by and sharing more about her fun blog!

Are you a new blogger too? Or just getting back into the swing of blogging? Do you want to be featured on my blog? Shoot me an email at dragonzgoil (at) gmail (dot) com.

6 comments:

  1. yeah..the blog is soo....cute.. i love it!!
    what bout mine? haha....publisizing...
    http://coffeecrackers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute feature! I'm not a parent yet, but I can say that my parents had trouble picking books for me too when I was a kid. Though that was because I'd already read most of what they bought me, lol. Will check out the blog, thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kristen! I had a great time doing this and I love reading about all the new sites you feature. It helps that I absolutely adore your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get over the cute names for her kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breaking Dawn is the book that concludes the Twilight Saga. However, Stephenie Meyer has written a book titled 'Midnight Sun' that is basically a repeat of Twilight, but in Edward Cullen's point of view. When chapters were leaked onto the internet, she put off the book. It is not exactly confirmed yet whether Midnight Sun will be released.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!